Well, we made it to Boston okay, and we've been hearing about all of the wedding plans, and have been helping out a little bit. There will be 201 people attending. There are 10 attendants (4 bridesmaids plus a matron of honor, and 4 groomsmen plus a best man [John]). I don't think John and I could've had that many--we didn't have that many friends! The rehearsal and dinner were last night. The priest has been helping out at that church for years and years, but he rarely does weddings and has never done one at that church. So, the rehearsal was a little long due to having to work out the logistics. And of course, all of those attendants have to practice walking slowly down the aisle. I'm glad I brought my knitting. I sat with the girlfriends of the groomsmen and chatted and knit. I was horrified to see that John is sitting up in the altar area (his church manners are, shall we say, non-traditional), but I've threatened him to be on his best behavior, so I think it will be okay. I suppose if he's too bad, God will simply strike him down on the spot, but I think that might be a real downer at the wedding, and anyway, who would I go to France with? I've been deputized an official Eucharistic Minister because they didn't have any and I was the only one around with any experience and there are going to be 201 people, so if it was just the priest, it was going to take a long time. Even so, we will not be having the wine.
Both Marc and Kristin seem to be going a little crazy from all of the details, and I can clearly remember how I felt right before my wedding so I can sympathize. I seem to remember wandering around mumbling, "We should've eloped, we should've eloped...." The wedding is tomorrow and we are still waiting for Marc to email us the program so we can print them out here, and fold them and such. It's not a morning wedding so we have time tomorrow. Or, at least John, Jerry, and I have time--Joan is going to get her hair done.
Today, the guys all went golfing while the girls went to the spa. It was lovely and relaxing. It was a very pretty spa in New Hampshire and everyone there was so nice. We each had manicures and pedicures and Kristin had a massage. She looked much better after the massage! This morning, she was taking her cats to her grandmother's house where they are staying while Marc and Kristin are on their honeymoon (they are going to Cancun), and one of the cats had a...um...intestinal issues...and somehow managed to claw his way out of the carrier and make a mess all over the car. Oh, and the matron of honor broke her toe. Needless to say, Kristin really needed that massage! The pedicures were fun; they massaged your feet in addition to painting your toenails--very relaxing. The same for the manicures. I got a French manicure (trying to get into the mood, you know) on my fingernails, and a really pretty plummy pink on my toenails. Oh, and we had the best sandwiches for lunch, too!
In the meantime, the men were out golfing. Apparently, they did not keep score. But Jerry figures they probably played the equivalent of two and a half 18 hole games with the number of shots they took. John's best shot was on the 18th hole when he hit it right onto the green while everyone was watching. John's not a big golfer, but he doesn't mind going out and hitting a few with someone as long as they are patient.
This evening, John's cousin Christine had a cookout at her house, so we went over there. Christine's brother Jeff is in town with his little boy Jack, so she wanted to get everyone together outside of the wedding. I had never met Jeff--he's a great person. He and his wife have a farm near Savannah--just 30 acres, but they have a whole menagerie of animals, including roosters with feathers on their feet (one whose name is "Roo-roo"!). This is John's mother's side of the family, by the way.
So, now all that's left is the big day. And the brunch on Monday. And then, we are off to France!
No comments:
Post a Comment