Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Wedding Day Part 2

So, we last left the wedding party awaiting their grand entrance.

The DJ played fun songs while announcing the parents, the bridal party and the bride and groom. There was a stairway leading down to the ballroom, so they really did make a grand entrance. Then bridal party had discussed dancing while going down the stairs, but the only ones who did it were John and Jessica. People found it quite amusing. :) As soon as everyone was down the stairs, Marc and Kristin had their first dance. It was an Alicia Keyes song, but I can't remember the name for the life of me. Instead of a head table, Marc and Kristin had a "sweetheart's table" which was a small raised table for just the two of them. This was nice because it allowed the bridal party to sit with their dates (or spouses). John and I were at a table with his parents, Grandma Anne, Uncle John, Auntie Pammie, and Uncle Paul. We had a great time. Uncle John was talking to me about Iowa and he was trying to remember the name of the capital. At first he thought it was Ames (I was pretty impressed he even knew about Ames!), but then he got stuck so, I gave him hints, like "It's French," and "It starts with a D." He finally guessed it and Grandma wanted to know what we were talking about. And Uncle John said, "The capital of Iowa, it's Des Moines." And Grandma gave him a funny look, and said, "oh, you!" like she thought we were joking. So, I assured her it was Des Moines, and I told her how you might say it in French in case she was confused. But she still thought we were kidding! Finally, she says, "Why isn't it Dublin?" She thought we were talking about Ireland! No wonder she was confused!

John gave a very nice toast. He talked about how he could never remember a time when he didn't have a brother, and that one of his earliest memories was Marc's baptism, and now he was happy to have a sister. Then, he said, "So, Kristin, welcome to the family, um, best of luck to you," at which point everyone started laughing! He didn't mean it the way it came out, but it was still funny. Jessica, the matron of honor, also gave a very nice toast in which she talked about meeting Kristin at college and Kristin's relationship with Marc. Jessica had said something about meeting Kristin Fredericks and Marc leaned over and said, "It's Vaillancourt"! Too funny! Then, we got down to the food. We had a really nice butternut squash bisque--very good. John and both had the Filet Mignon and it was excellent. For dessert, there was wedding cake, of course, and John stole some off a different table so that we could have chocolate!

Then, we started the dancing. They played a lot of fun songs and John and I were out there most of the time. Kristin danced with her grandfather and Marc danced with Grandma who was trying to teach him how to two-step. I'm not sure if he caught on or not. All too soon, the party was over and we were left wondering where we should go to continue on. John, and I and his Vaillancourt cousins (Christ, Laurie, Karen, Keith, and Jen) went out into the booming metropolis of Haverhill only to find that Uno's was closed, and Mr. Mike's wouldn't serve us because, we had, "come from a wedding and looked like we had drank too much already." So, by 1am, we were snoozing in our beds.

The next morning, we had a brunch which was nice because it gave everyone a chance to say goodbye. That morning, John said to me, "Honey, have you seen my shorts?" Turned out he hadn't packed them, and he had to put his tux pants on again. He was looking very debonair in a short-sleeved blue plaid shirt, grey sneakers and tux pants. I wish I had taken a picture! John and I got a ride with Paul and Pam because Joan and Jerry's car was full of loot from the wedding! Upon arriving home, John realized he forgot his toiletries bag at the hotel, so he and Jerry are going up there today to retrieve it! Between forgetting his shorts, forgetting his travel bag, and accidently stealing a travel-sized shampoo from CVS, he's having a hard time on this trip!

So, the bottom line is that everything was lovely and a good time was had by all.

No comments: