We left the hotel around 9:30, but didn't leave Denver until about 10:30. Note to all who may one day drive to Denver. Avoid the intersection of I-76 and I-70 at all costs. We weren't even in downtown Denver, we weren't even headed toward downtown Denver, and yet traffic was barely crawling. Fortunately, we had a book to listen to and that kept us from becoming impossibly bored (although, I think John was On the Edge, the edge of what, I don't know, but there's something about heavy traffic that really gnaws at him).
Denver, of course, stands in the shadows of some pretty impressive mountains.

Our poor little car was having some difficulty with the changes in altitude. Our engine just wasn't built for this sort of thing.
But, the mountains in Denver weren't the half of it.



I would say we spent about 75% of our drive today in the mountains. We stopped at a beautiful rest area, a place where you actually might want to stop for a picnic, and wandered around. We skipped rocks in the ice cold river.


We decided to take a picture of ourselves to commemorate the drive.

Hmmm, guess I need to move a little faster.

Then, we continued on into Utah where things got a whole lot more flat except for the enormous plateaus that rise unexpectedly to provide a wall along the horizon.
(By rights, I should have a pic of this, but, um, the camera batteries died. Maybe tomorrow.)
We have stopped for the night in the lovely little town of Green River (which should've been named Brown River, but I guess that just doesn't have the same ring to it). Here is the view from our hotel window (through the screen).

Yes, there's a highway there, but look off in the distance. A genuine View.
Of course, right away we settled in for our favorite activity these days.
2 comments:
Brian and I have been known to engage in "dualing web surfing" ourselves... Glad to hear the trip is going pretty well (minus a few blips).
Love the scenery. I have got to get out there sometime.
Post a Comment